Friday, September 23, 2011

MASKerades.

Well, I feel like there is a lot I could talk about this week.  We covered what I feel is a lot of information in class.  All of which I find interesting.  Masks, while very prevalent in African Cultures, are also seen in other countries around the world.  We may not be able to relate with as much meaning as some African Cultures have with these masks but we can relate by having our own masquerades and costumes.


When we were watching the video in class on Thursday I was reminded of our mascots we see in our culture.  When we go to sporting events we see mascots who dress up to entertain the crowds and similarly we can see clowns when we go to parties.  The monkey mask in the Bwa peoples was what initially sparked the similarities in my mind.  The masked individuals entertain the crowds by acting as the mask they are wearing.


African Cultures take these masquerades to a whole new level but believing that they actually become the spirit of the mask.  They perform however they need to based on what the mask symbolizes.  Even with this being a form of entertainment, it is still considered a sacred ritual that must be performed.


Another aspect that we talked about this week that interested me was from the Baule and Bamana peoples.  They each have dances or groups separated by age.  How is this unlike our organizations we have here in our culture?  I don't see much difference besides the dancing and masks but in some cases that may not be far off.  I can relate closely to the Ndomo because the way we described it in class was similar to boy scouts.  Having gone through boy scouts when I was younger I understand the importance and need to teach our youth how to grow up to be outstanding citizens.


It's so interesting to me to see how much our culture compared with different African Cultures are so different yet, surprisingly to me, so similar in ways.  We all have this inherent need and want to be good and that seems to show in different ways through our cultures.

4 comments:

  1. I think the difference between mascots and masquerades is greater than you articulate here, although you do acknowledge masks in many African cultures are embodied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even think about this connection between the mascots and the masquerades by the Bwa peoples until I read your blog. Its interesting that you made this connection, but I also agree with Professor Sutton that the African Cultures' masks are alot more spiritual and meaningful to the Bwa peoples. The similarity of the two is that they are for entertainment purposes, but the difference is the meaning. While in our culture it is for school spirit and to help pump up the crowd and the players, while the Bwa's masks are remind of them of their ancestors and their resources that helped shape their own culture. Very interesting connection overall I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to clarify that I do know that there is a BIG difference between mascots and masquerades. Reading through I noticed that I didn't articulate the difference as much as I should have but I just wanted to point out that that's something I made a connection with when we were discussing them in class.

    ReplyDelete